Sunday, September 4, 2011

Watch Along: Roméo et Juliette (part 7)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZI8jeXyhxA&feature=related

The Montagues gather on the stage. It's about to get real up in here. In SLOOOO-MOOOOO.


Nah, here we go. This music is catchy. And YAY, ROMEO'S HAIR IS BACK! I mean...Romeo's back. Ahem. He starts singing about how awful  it must be to be a king of the world. As the girls fall all over him. Jeeze, Romeo's quite the ladies-man, isn't he? And Spiky Coat and Lance Bass are back! Does this mean...the coat DOES feature prominently in the play! I was right! It's Mercutio!
In turn, Lance Bass does the same thing. Romeo seems perky. Whatever happened to Rosalind and that whole mopey subplot? Gone? Ah well.
Now comes the highly coreographed dance to the...really catchy hook. I like this hook. I feel like dancing to this myself... Do I actually LIKE this song? I...I do.
Wow.
This is impressive after the travesty that was part six. I have renewed hope in this thing.
Mercutio has his verse about how terrible being rich and powerful is. Because partying is important in life. Partying and having no morals. Don't look at me--it's in the lyrics.
Everyone rolls around on stage. Why does this keep happening? Do we have no extra dancing we can do in between choruses? No? Alright then.
I'll just say this right now: these costumes entertain me. Look at them. Romeo's wearing a blue leather suit with ruffles, Benvolio has that stupid turquois spaceman jumpsuit, and...well, Mercutio's jacket exists.
Someone backsprings across stage, which is becoming a motif apparently. Then he breakdances. What time period are we in again? Something's renaissance-y about this, but there's something a bit too modern here. I shouldn't have to ask these questions.


I CAN'T FIGHT IT ANYMORE!


Nous on fait l'amour, on vit la vie!
Jour après jour, nuit après nuit!
A quoi ça sert d'être sur la terre!
Si c'est pour faire nos vies à genoux!
On sait que le temps c'est comme le vent!
De vivre y'a que ça d'important!
On se fout pas mal de la morale!
On sait bien qu'on fait pas de mal!

(I looked up those lyrics and I am not ashamed of myself...at all. I can't transcribe French very easily. Because I'm horrible at writing it down... One year of French doesn't help sometimes.)

MORE DANCING! BRING IN THE DANCING GIRLS! FEEL THE BEAT! THIS IS AWESOME! FORGET THE REST OF THE MUSICAL!

...

Well then.

The Montagues and Mercutio go to the party. Exeunt severally. The end.

Thoughts: Um...I really like that song. Especially the hook. Can we pretend the rest of the musical sounds like that and move on?

No comments:

Post a Comment