Sunday, September 4, 2011

Watch Along: Roméo et Juliette (part 6)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSrYa-PDvY&feature=related

Just for kicks, I decided to bring in a guest to comment on our next number with me. Say hello to my dearest friend, Poetoffire. I asked her to so kindly give her commentary over Skype in real time while we viewed part six of the neverending saga of Roméo et Juliette. This will probably only make sense if you watch between reading. Since this number was fairly short and annoying, I think we'll be fine. If you want to skip the live commentary, I'll do a short recap at the end.

Bloody Mary Sue: My god, that music is poppy.
I wanna dance to it.

Poetoffire: The nurse's hair looks like a bowl of spaghetti.

BMS: What happened to the stupid twinkly music?

POF: They're still speaking in sign language.

BMS: Half of them do. And why is Beardy dancing with a bunch of guys?

POF: Lady Capulet annoys me.
Everyone's overemoting.


BMS: RIVERDANCING.
WUT.
This song is nothing like any of the others. I doubt this is from the same musical.

EVERYONE TALKS WITH THEIR HANDS.

POF: I have been listening to too much Rocky Horror, because superimposed on the French I can hear Terrence Mann growl "Don't!  Get!  Hot!  And!  Flustered!  Use!  A!  Bit!  Of!  Mustard!"
 

BMS: Nurse and Lady C are acting like they're trying to sell her to the slave trade.
So...opinions?
Personally, that was...out of place.


POF:  Obnoxious, overly monochromatic, eerily reminiscent in tone to numbers like "Masquerade" from Phantom, and Lady Capulet has crazy eyes.

BMS: This whole number just kind of...blew the top off everything else. I'm confused. And I want to know who red-head lady is.
She's been emoting since the first number.


POF: Who?
I honestly don't care anymore.


BMS: That was a really annoying number.

POF:  It reminded me of that one patriotic song.

BMS: I think that number could've been handled a lot differently.
And a lot better.


POF: I think it was obnoxious through and through.

BMS: The music choice was just weird.
Waaaay too pop-y.


POF: And it didn't further the plot from the last song.

BMS: I think if they'd combined the ideas of those two songs into something, it might've worked. This one just kind of reiderates it.
Also, I just rewatched the beginning.
The nurse is annoying.


***

GAH! La musique! Weren't we all Parisian Cafe-y a second ago? I didn't like THAT certainly, but I prefer it to this.
Everyone's rough-housing Juliet. And luckily, red head lady isn't the nurse. It's Spaghetti Hair lady (thanks for that, Poetoffire, now I'll never stop seeing it). This Lady C is a lot different than the one in the third number. A lot more...annoyingly peppy. Presumably, she's telling Juliet how wonderful it is now that she's of marrying age and men are going to be seeking her hand. Ah, the joys of being objectified! Juliet isn't impressed. Nor would I be. In fact, she looks pretty terrified. Get the poor girl out of the awful musical number, for heaven's sakes!
And now Nurse is assaulting her. Wasn't her mother bad enough? And seriously: why does everyone talk with their hands so much? No, Juliet, you don't have to look happy. This is terrible. Here come the riverdancing girls... Why? Just...why?
Now Juliet talks to Nurse for awhile. And she's not a very good actress. Neither of them are, really. Bring back Escalus!

Thoughts: That was...annoying. Sorry about that. I truly am.

No comments:

Post a Comment